Friday, October 9, 2009

Fall Flavors



Oh, how I love the fall. It's been getting cooler here, then warm, then cool, but I refuse to let those warm days erase the fact that it is October! In protest of warmth, I wore a (light) turtleneck to work on Thursday and decided to break out my cranberry sauce recipe tonight.

So, in honor of autumn, my kick-off-the-season meal:

Baked Acorn Squash
I found some relatively small acorn squashes at the market last week, which are the perfect size for just two eaters. Baked the squash halves in a 1/4" water bath for.........however long it took me to make the rest of the meal. Thirty minutes, maybe?

Israeli Cous-Cous Stuffing 
I made this recipe up on the fly. It would work with a number of different fruits/flavors.


1 onion, diced
1 apple, diced (I left the skin on because I'm lazy)
1 large handful of dried apricots, chopped
3/4 c. slivered almonds
1 3/4 c. Israeli cous cous
1 1/4 cup water
1 cup orange juice
2 tsp. Garam Masala, or to taste
Hot curry paste to taste

1. Saute onions and apples in olive oil until they begin to soften.
2. Add apricots and garam masala, salt and pepper
3. Add water and OJ and bring to a boil.
4. Pour in cous cous. Lower heat and cover. Allow to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
5. Stir in almonds and curry paste (if using).

Place a pat of Earth Balance, salt, and pepper inside each squash half. Spoon stuffing into cooked squashes.

Cranberry Sauce

3/4 c. water
1/2 c. orange juice
3/4 c. sugar
12 oz. bag of cranberries
1 cinnamon stick

1. Bring water, oj, and sugar to a boil.
2. Add cranberries and cinnamon stick.Return to boil.
3. Lower heat and simmer about 10 minutes or until thickened.
4. Pour into a bowl, allow to cool to room temperature. Chill in refrigerator.

Hooray for Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment