Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Blustery Day



The weather on the East Coast is horrendous! Flooding abounds, puddles are pools, and the wind seems to want to rip our home to shreds! A perfect day for soup, storage, slacking, and surfing the web!

Around 2:00 this afternoon, I threw together this recipe from BHG, courtesy of  FatFreeVegan:

Spiced Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup

Recipe By     :Better Homes and Gardens
Serving Size  : 5     

A very simple but satisfying soup--actually more like a stew.  Put it in your crockpot in the morning, and come home to a wonderful meal!

If you can't find garam masala, you can make your own from this easy recipe.

  1                cup  dried lentils
  2 1/2           cups  butternut squash cubes -- (3/4-inch)
     1/2           cup  chopped onion
     1/2           cup  chopped carrot
     1/2           cup  chopped celery
  2                     garlic cloves -- minced
  1           teaspoon  garam masala
  4               cups  low sodium vegetable broth

1. Rinse and drain lentils. In a 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker place lentils, squash, onion, carrot and celery. Sprinkle garlic and garam masala over vegetables. Pour broth over all.

2. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high heat setting for 4 to 4 1/2 hours. [Adjust seasoning.] Ladle into bowls.

Source:
  "BHG Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes"
  "7 cups"
Start to Finish Time:
  "4:25"


I modified the recipe a bit by increasing the squash to 4 cups, and almost doubling the rest of the ingredients. Ten minutes before serving, I added 1 cup of Israeli cous-cous (my new obsession). Delicious! 




I've got the nesting bug early in this pregnancy, I think! I'm 8 weeks along and already feel the urges to organize, primp, de-clutter, and clean. Today I moved a three-compartment bench from the floor of my kitchen to a large (useless) cubby hole that is built in the wall. I don't know why I didn't do this before! The compartments, which usually hold baskets, are perfect for my cookbooks. The bench itself created a wonderful shelf space for pots and pans that I don't use often. And now the cubby hole is functional--my favorite kind of space! I will say, though, that J was upset with me for moving something "heavy" above my head. I'm just angry at how out of shape I am. I definitely pulled a butt-muscle!

Pics to follow.


The final to-do (but not must-do) for today was to research registry options. My mother told me to "make sure" I register so that family member can alleviate some items on our list of baby necessities. My problem is this: there is no one company which sells everything I prefer. We're definitely going to cloth-diaper, so there are specific cost-effective sites for that. We want eco-friendly materials for baby items, such as sustainable wood for the crib, no VOC's in the laquer on the highchair, and BPA free plastics, if plastic is necessary. So, there are sites for these types of items. Finally, we can't neglect the fact that our kid will need a decent car seat, a playpen, a carrier, and safety gates. These items can be found reasonably-priced on yet another site!

After looking at pricey eco-friendly sites like this and this, I've decided to create a cloth diaper registry at a site TBD, a general-needs registry with Babies-R-Us (They have eco-friendly products! I'm proud of them for offering so many!), and an everything-else registry with Wishpot.

Now I just have to decide what's needed! (And I think I've got a little bit of time... :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment